Shepton Vets are a dedicated team of 14 farm animal vets, veterinary technicians and support staff that are passionate about providing the very best veterinary care for your animals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We are committed to working with you to optimise the health, welfare, and productivity of your animals by offering practical solutions suited to the needs of the individual.
We are an independently owned practice that was established in 1922. Within the team we have extensive experience in all key areas of dairy practice, many of our vets have undertaken further studies and qualifications allowing them to develop specialist areas of interest. We have vets with a keen interest in beef and sheep production and those that with a focus in camelid and goat medicine.
We regularly run practical training courses, hold on farm meetings, host discussion groups, and facilitate benchmarking meetings to share new ideas and developments. We produce a monthly newsletter that is full of seasonal advice, industry news, and information on upcoming practice events. We have a close working relationship with academic institutions, and in doing so play a role in educating vets and aspiring farm workers of the future.
We are one of few veterinary practices in the UK that offer laparoscopic correction of left displaced abomasum’s, a minimally invasive, quick, keyhole procedure that is aimed at speeding up patient recovery times and reducing the need for antibiotics in comparison to more traditional methods.
Shepton Vets is a member of XL Vets, a large community of independently owned practices that collaborate and share knowledge and experience on delivering the highest standards of veterinary care.
Our Farm Vet Services include:
- Dedicated vet to manage fertility and reproductive monitoring with regular visits to suit your requirements
- Precise, accurate pregnancy diagnosis and assessment of the reproductive tract using Easi-scan ultrasound scanners
- Fertility analysis, semen testing and analysis, reporting and advice using Interherd+, Uniform and other programmes
Herd Health Management:
- Advice on mastitis control, cell counts and milk parlour testing
- Infectious disease prevention and investigation
- Lameness treatment using practice hydraulic crush and lameness control plans
- Nutrition assessment
- Youngstock health and management
- Herd health planning and assistance with all farm assurance and milk buyer requirements
- In-house laboratory providing a comprehensive panel of diagnostic tests
- In-house post-mortem service provides added value to fallen stock
- Our Daisy Service can help manage your data entry and provide analysis with vet lists, medicine records and other reports
- Vaccine reminder service and vaccine calendars
- TB testing as part of XL Farmcare Wessex
Veterinary Technician Services:
- Our team of Vet Techs can help save you time with tasks on farm
- Youngstock service which includes disbudding, weighing, vaccinating, and blood sampling to monitor total proteins
- Stress free disbudding
- Mobility scoring and foot trimming
- Body condition scoring,
- Teat end scoring
- Udder singeing
- Herd vaccinations and help with other herd management tasks. All vaccinations purchased from us can be delivered by our vet techs at no extra cost to you
- Seasonal integrated fly control program
- Beef herd health planning and review of key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- Disease investigation, fertility management (including synchronisation protocols, bull fertility testing), and support with accreditation schemes and high herd health status schemes
SMALL RUMINANT (SHEEP AND GOAT) AND CAMELIDS (LLAMAS AND ALPACAS):
- Flock health planning tailored to your individual needs
- Shepton Smallholders Club supports small flock owners and hobby farmers
- Additional services include fertility testing, reproductive planning, pregnancy diagnosis, vaccinating and worming protocols specific to your farm
- We offer practical training courses aimed at benefiting your business and improving skills
- Courses include artificial insemination, foot trimming, herdsperson certificate, medicine courses, calving courses, cow first aid, lambing courses, and small holder training
- For more information on our courses click here
- We are committed to providing you with the most competitive medicine prices and regularly review these to ensure that we always offer the most cost effective medicines, with offers and promotions on selected medicines throughout the year
- Discounted medicines for those paying by direct debit
- Medicine delivery service
We believe in having a simple, transparent price structure for our farm services that is fair to all our clients. All of our work is charged on a time basis, so the more organised you can be on farm, the better value we are!
Our team of vets meet every week to discuss farm problems so that we make maximal use of all our expertise to provide solutions. We endeavour to have the most up to date knowledge to enable us to provide you with the best possible service. Our vets spend at least one week of the year training or attending meetings so that we are at the cutting edge of dairy medicine.