Dairy Herdspersons Certificate: 1st & 2nd December 2021
This intensive two day practical course is designed to provide essential skills for those working as a dairy herdsperson.
Perfect as a refresher or for those looking to develop their skills to best practice level.
The Dairy Herdspersons Certificate is split into 6 modules:
Calving & Cow First Aid:
- What is normal for a calving cow & how is this different in heifers?
- When & how you should intervene in a calving?
- How to correct common malpresentations
- Caring for a down cow to optimise the chances of her getting up
- The correct way to lift a cow & how to assess limbs for breakages
- Passing a stomach tube and giving oral fluids
- Prevention of down cows
Fresh Cow Care:
- Common conditions of the freshly calved cow
- US style fresh cow checks — pros & cons
- How to diagnose an LDA
- Using milk ketone tests to allow early diagnosis and treatment of any issues
- How to perform a simple veterinary examination of fresh cows
- Treatment decision making
Milking Routines & Mastitis:
- Best practice Milking routine - what is an efficient routine for my herd
- What causes high SCC and Bactoscan
- Diagnosis & causes of mastitis
- Treatment of clinical mastitis
- Effective colostrum management
- Feeding and nutritional requirements
- Common diseases in calves and how you can prevent them
- Weaning process
- Weight gain targets
- What are we trying to achieve
- Heat detection and heat detection aids
- How to maximise conception rates
- Confirming pregnancy
- Diseases which affect fertility and how these can be prevented
- Action for cystic cows, cow confirmed pregnant but bulling, non bullers
Hoof Care & Lameness:
- Anatomy of the bovine foot
- Recognising types of lameness, causes & prevention strategies
- Dutch 5 Step hoof trimming
- Preventative trimming techniques
Course Tutors :
Paddy Gordon: MA VetMB CertCHP MRCVS Advanced Practitioner in Cattle Health & Production
Oliver Tilling: BVSc BSc MRCVS & Author of ‘A Veterinary Guide to Rearing Dairy Heifers’
Bibby Thomas: BVSc MRCVS
Charlie Neale: BVET Med MRCVS Cert DHH (Dairy herd health).
Cost: £350 + VAT including:Tuition, lunch, refreshments during the day, dinner on the 1st night, course notes & CPD certificate.
To book, please contact Zoe Rogers on 01749 341761 or email: email@example.com